Sunday, August 10, 2014

Swatch Sunday: Hello Waffle custom colours!

How have I not talked Hello Waffle here before? I'm really not sure.

There are so many things I could say about this lovely shop and the super nice owner, but for today I'd like to focus on the custom eyeshadow option!

Labels with custom titles
The new Hello Waffle logo is ADORABLE.
(I don't know what I was thinking getting a white desk as a battlestation since I spill bits of pigment ALL THE TIME, but the blue smears give it character. I think.)

I initially ordered one custom eyeshadow, which I envisioned as an orangey-red with an aqua blue duochrome, as a pick-me-up gift for an artist friend of mine who goes by the handle Of Red and Blue. (If you're curious, here's her webcomic.) However, there's a reason such a colour isn't super common in the first place, as it turns out: it's tricky to make! But Christine (the owner of Hello Waffle and an extremely sweet and patient person) went through a bunch of different ideas and really put a lot of care into coming up with something lovely that would suit the concept.

I really have to emphasize that Christine's customer service is excellent--she really seeks to ensure that you're 100% happy with the product, she's quick to respond to e-mails, and very easy to correspond with. She provided video swatches of the mixes she worked on throughout the process, so you're able to get a better sense of the sparkle/shift in the eyeshadow.

One of the mixes she showed me that went pinky-purple was really gorgeous, so I asked to purchase it as well--hence Raindrops on Violets. I ended up splitting the four jars (you receive two jars with each custom shadow order) into two sets, because friendship makeup is the new friendship bracelet for adults. (Okay, so I just made that up, but come on. Friendship makeup.)

Anyway, here are some swatches over Darling Girl Glitter Glue. I'd describe Raindrops on Violets as a slightly metallic plum-magenta with a subtle blue shift, while Of Red and Blue is a molten copper with gold and aqua sparkle.

Raindrops on Violets left, Of Red and Blue right
Sunlight sparkle-blur
Sunlight kind of catches the sparkle/sheen best and illustrates the shifting water feeling of these, though it washes out the colours a bit.

Indirect sunlight
As you can see here, the base in Of Red and Blue is more of a copper and Raindrops on Violets is a pinky-purple. It's hard to catch the shift/sparkle of them in a non-blurry picture, though.

Of Red and Blue, slightly blurred
Of Red and Blue's sparkle is reminiscent of the sparkle in Shiro's Baker's Boy, I think. Maybe this is Katniss and Peeta's fiery child who also enjoys baking cheese buns.

Raindrops on Violets, very blurred (sorry)
Raindrops on Violets reminds me of Darling Girl's Obviously a Wig with a less neon base/subtler sheen. I am clearly in a Hunger Games mood.

I think if I order a custom in future I'll probably message Christine about it first to get a sense of how realistic my expectations are! (I kind of feel like I put her through a gauntlet unintentionally.) However, she was lovely to work with and these colours came out very pretty--and most importantly, Of Red and Blue liked Of Red and Blue. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment